Monday, September 5, 2016

Elder Ward and I at the Uruguay, Temple
Cooking Asado

Nada nada empanada! 

I hope that all of you are doing well and that you all had a good week. This week went by really quickly in Uruguay....It feels like I was just writing you guys a few minutes ago.... 

This last week was really sweet. We finished preparing Ester for her baptism, so everything should be good to go for her baptism this Saturday. She is going to get married this Tuesday....and then baptized this Saturday. Haha. 

Elder Ward and I had an eventful week. We had to head to Montevideo for a conference with our Mission President. We woke up at 4:30 in the morning to take the train and the bus to get there in time. My eyes were pretty tired during the conference, but it went really well. Our President focused on the importance of the Book of Mormon and applying it more in our teaching. That is something that I am working on a lot. My love for the scriptures is growing so much, considering the fact that I didn`t even like to read before my mission. It is incredible that I can`t stop reading. After the conference we went to the Distribution Center to buy a couple items, and we found a beautiful leather bound book called Articles of Faith by James E. Talmage. The book was super cool! The lady at the front desk explained that it was a really rare book. Apparently it is a Christmas gift from the Apostles. It was really expensive, so I put it back and started to leave. A man walked in and stared at the book for a second  (I could tell that this man didn`t have a lot of money, by the way he was dressed......)  and he said, “Wow!  This is a beautiful book isn`t it?” I responded, “Yeah, it is incredible.” He walked up to the counter and purchased the book. Then as I was leaving. He stopped me and said, “Hey where are you going?”  He then explained that the book was all about faith......and he handed it to me. He told me he wanted to thank me for my mission service and for everything we do as missionaries. I almost started crying..I was completely shocked. I tried to refuse the book, but he wouldn`t  take it back. I love the Uruguayan people. Even when they yell at me, spit at me, throw rocks at me. I am starting to love this country more and more each day.  

I still love the USA though. 

Have a good week everyone,

Elder Vanderlinden
Quote of the week:  “See that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind, and strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment