Monday, March 21, 2016

This food is called Bauru!
Hello everyone,

I hope that you are all doing well. This week was so busy!  To start off, we had a multi-zone conference in a place called 33. On Thursday, we woke up super early and headed to the Stake Center to meet up with the other missionaries. Then we climbed into a 16 passenger van, and set off. The drive...was....uncomfortable. Haha. We were flying up and down huge dirt hills, and I felt like I was on a roller coaster. It was fun...for about 15 minutes. The next hour and a half was pretty rough, and when we arrived, everyone jumped out of the van as quick as they could. The conference went great, and I learned a lot. During one of our teaching practices, President Cook decided to listen in on my companion and I teaching. He gave us some really good advice on how we could improve, and it helped a lot.

Also this week. My companion and I were walking when it started to sprinkle. We got our umbrellas, and set off. Then it started to pour.....super hard. The streets turned into rivers and there was water everywhere. While we were wading through the water, my companion told me a story about his Dad, and that in his mission, it started raining super hard, and when they knocked on their investigators door, the investigator said that she wanted to be baptized, because anyone that is crazy enough to walk around in that weather must have an important message. As you can guess, this hyped both of us up, and we hurried to the home of one of our investigators. His road was made of dirt...and it was completely flooded, like a river. We ran through the water, and knocked on his door. He came out, and asked us what we were doing. He had to yell it, because it was raining so hard, and it was super noisy. We explained that we passed by to talk to him, and see how he was doing. We waited anxiously for his response....then he yelled ¨You can´t come in....and DON’T COME BACK!” …definitely not the response we were expecting. Haha. My companion and I took off up the road, trying to run up the river and mud. We were both laughing super hard, and then we made it to the paved road. That is when...we started to smell bad...really bad. It turns out, that the reason the water was soo dirty on this particular street...is because some of it was rain water...and the other part was sewage water. What an experience! Every time that I have an experience like that, I know that the Lord is testing me, to see if I am humble and patient enough to find the people that are ready. I am learning something very important and that is… There is a difference between going on a mission, and serving a mission. 

Have a great week everyone!
-Elder Vanderlinden

Quote of the week ¨Sometimes a single phrase of testimony can set events in motion that affect someone´s life for eternity.¨ 
-Pres. Uchtdorf, April 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment